As Christmas fast approaches, you may be in dire need of of some last second gifts. Here’s some tips to keep in mind when purchasing goodies for loved ones.
1. Think One Size – Since you may not know a person’s size and stores don’t use a uniform format for sizing clothes, spring for items that only come in one size. Things like scarves, ties, and cufflinks are easy to find and you don’t have to worry about them being too big or small.
2. Think Simple – Never, ever get things that are too colorful or too trendy. You have no idea if they would like that funky color or crazy pattern. For men and women alike, simple colors are great (read: black, white, grey, navy). Unless you KNOW they love a certain color or pattern, just err on the side of caution. Even if YOU love it doesn’t mean they will – and they will probably return it or just stash it in their closet.
3. Think Non-Novelty – Novelty items are just terrible gifts. Sure, a fluffy Santa hat, Christmas plates, or holiday themed tie may be rampant at stores right now, but they are just not useful outside of a 2 week span in the year. Not to mention, they are pretty ugly and awfully tacky!
4. Avoid Shoes and Sunglasses – too hard to shop for someone else when it comes to these things.
5. It doesn’t always have to be clothing – Electronics, weekend bags, and perfume/cologne are awesome gifts. For those special loved ones, jewelry is also an option.
6. High priced hygiene – Beauty and hygiene product sets are always great gifts. For moms and girlfriends, you can grab some nice makeup essentials. For your dad, shop for high end shaving sets such as this one below from Art of Shaving.
7. Overspend a little – Remember, gifts are all about buying the people in your life things they normally would not buy themselves. So splurge a little and get them something nicer than usual.